What does Demeter certification on food mean?
Demeter e.V. is the oldest organic farming association in Germany. Demeter farmers have been cultivating their fields biodynamically since 1924. Because of its vibrant recycling economy, Demeter agriculture is considered the most sustainable form of land management and goes far beyond the requirements of the EU Eco-Regulation (excerpt from the Demeter website).
Essential extensions to the organic seal are:
• Conversion of the entire operation
• Use of biodynamic preparations from herbs, minerals and cow dung.
• Own varieties and breeding work in the field of cereals, vegetables and poultry. For cereals, only seed-solid varieties may be used, hybrid varieties are excluded. In general, no varieties from cell fusion technology may be used.
• Animal husbandry is mandatory for farms
• Annual EC organic inspection and control by the association itself
• and much more: further information on Demeter website